January 4 – February 28, 2013
Mr. Beery’s, Sarasota
D.U.I.- Drawing Under the Influence- Uncorking and tapping the creative juices. An annual open call art competition and casual exhibition to benefit Sarasota’s Public Elementary Schools. Presented by Mr. Beery’s, and SarasotaVisualArt.com
Art and your local tavern — many folks wouldn’t put these things together naturally however In truth, they are a perfect mix. Bars and taverns have played an important role in the organization and development of many political and art movements throughout American history. It was in the taverns of New York in the early 1950’s where artists would frequent after working in their studios to meet other artists and take part in weekly salons. For over a hundred years, bars and taverns for entertained artists and creatives- and now Mr. Beery’s and SarasotaVisualArt.com have combined ideas and resources to create D.U.I., Drawing Under the Influence, a unique open call art competition and casual exhibition to benefit the Sarasota Public School Elementary Art Programs.
It’s pretty simple to enter- all you have to do is buy a craft beer, and draw on a supplied beer coaster from Jan. 4 to Feb. 1 at Mr. Beery’s. At the end of the competition, the beer coasters (now artworks) will be curated and critiqued by a panel of judges consisting of local art directors and artists. Prizes will be awarded to first, second, and third place and people choice. Every year, a portion of the proceeds will benefit a different Sarasota Public School Elementary Art Program. This year, proceeds will benefit Gulf Gate Elementary.
SUBMISSION POLICY & RULES
• Entrant must create “bar coaster” on site at Mr. Beerys with supplied drawing materials from behind the bar
• Entrant must purchase beverage for entry in competition
• Artwork must be created on supplied standard 4 x 4 bar coaster
• All Artwork must be original and for sale.
• Entrant must complete an entry form supplied by Mr. Beerys
• Entrant can submit as many times as they wish
• Must be 21 to enter.
• Any artwork that is deemed inappropriate will be eliminated.
• All unsold works will be returned upon request
• Entries will be received January 4-February 1, 2013
• Reception/Winners Announced: Saturday, February 9, 2013
• Art & Alcohol Lecture: Saturday, February 23, 2013
• Closing (artwork comes down): Thursday, February 28, 2013
SALES & DONATIONS
100% of the “Bar Coaster” sales will go to the Artist. . Every year, a portion of the proceeds will benefit a different Sarasota Public School Elementary Art Program. This year, proceeds will benefit Gulf Gate Elementary. Additional donations will be accepted at Mr. Beery’s.
Kevin Costello, Artist, Ringling College of Art and Design Staff Member, and guest lecturer
David Steiner, Artist and co-owner State of the Arts Gallery, Sarasota FL
Pamela Beck, Arts Writer, Sarasota Visual Art
Cassia Kite, Artist, Painting and Printmaking Instructor IMG Academy
Mr. Beerys, Sarasota, 2645 Mall Drive, Sarasota, FL 34231 – (941) 343-2854
Over $1,000 in Prizes/Awards for 1st, 2nd, 3rd , and Staff Pick
A Body Of Art
Gold Coast Eagle Distributing
Gulf Gate Frame Center
JJ Taylor Distributing
Queen Anne British Pub
Sal’s Pizzeria and Pasta House
Sarasota Visual Art
Solarzano Italian Restaurant
Tiki Time Sweepstakes