ARTdart: There are as many ways to think about art as there are to create it. Join Pamela Beck in the first installment of, SeeSaw, to her current column, ARTdart, as she observes and explores various visual art exhibitions and happenings in the Gulf Coast area.
No, it’s not your imagination. It really does take an extra twenty minutes to get wherever you’re going these days.For art fans, there’s a flip side to not being able to find a parking spot this time of year: More crowds=More exhibitions.
Here, below, are some eyecatchers I’ve seen while gallery hopping on a recent, sunny afternoon. They’re just a small taste of visual treats currently on exhibit in Sarasota.
For a larger picture of shows in town, click “Exhibition” found on the Sarasota Visual Art masthead.
1. Abstract, adj.: Expressing a quality apart from an object, Group Exhibition curated by Kevin Dean, Selby Gallery, Ringling College of Art, till April 3rd
The resurgence of Abstract Painting in contemporary art provides this opportunity to explore current trends in relation to the historic movement through the exhibition of eight working painters ranging in age from their thirties’ to their eighties’ who are inspired by nature, music, mathematics, the spiritual and new media.
Selby Gallery, Ringling College of Art and Design,
2700 N. Tamiami Trail
2. Child’s Play, Group Exhibition curated by Mindy Solomon of the Mindy Solomon Gallery, St. Petersburg, till April 26th
Mindy Solomon Gallery
124 2nd Ave NE St Petersburg, FL 33701
3. iConcept Retrospective, group exhibition curated by Lisa Berger and Eric Cross, Art Center Sarasota, Sarasota, FL, till April 26th
Art Center Sarasota
707 N Tamiami Trail, Sarasota, FL 34236
4. Following Ovid’s Metamorphoses: From Cosmogony to Chaos and back to the Rhizome, curated by Anne-Marie Melster, Two Columns Gallery, Ringling College of Art and Design, till April 14th
Two Columns Gallery, Ringling College of Art and Desing
1947 Ringling Blvd., Sarasota FL 34236
4. If the Sun was Square, curated by David and Tre Steiner, State of the Arts Gallery, Sarasota, FL, till May 1
State of the Arts Gallery
1525 State Street, Sarasota, FL 34236
5. Ongoing, Nikitas Kavoukles, Stakenborg Fine Art, Sarasota, FL
Stakenborg Fine Art
1545 Main Street, Sarasota, FL 34236
6. Let it Float, Matt Combs, till March 30th, Clothesline Gallery, Sarasota, FL
529 S. Pineapple Avenue, Sarasota, FL 34236